Resolved, the House of Bishops concurring, That the 78th General Convention on the 50th anniversary of the murder of seminarian Jonathan Daniels, urge all legislators at federal, state and local levels to help decrease gun violence by implementing laws that;
1. Require permits to carry concealed weapons and criminal background checks for every gun purchase, including those made at gun shows; and
2. Except for the use of military and law enforcement agencies. Ban the sale, transfer, importation and manufacture of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity magazines; and
3. Ban the importation and manufacture of Full-Auto Conversion kits that convert automatic weapons; and
4. Tighten laws against gun trafficking, and increase penalties for those who engage in "straw purchases" of firearms for ineligible persons; and
5. Prohibit persons from purchasing guns without evidence of gun safety training; and
6. Recognize the impact of existing inheritance laws on the transfer of gun ownership; and
7. Promote funding for research into the prevention and causes of gun violence.